How Roof Trusses are Constructed for Earthquakes
Earthquakes, we see how devastating they can be to the earth and humanity. Our structures often come down so easily and as a result, many livelihoods are ruined. Luckily for us, South Africa hasn’t been on mother nature’s bad side just yet but earthquakes are increasing in our country.
The strength, or magnitude, of an earthquake is measured using the Richter scale. … Earthquakes measuring around 7 or 8 on the Richter scale can be devastating.
There is always reason to take precaution and invest in a roof that will last through anything – even an earthquake!
We cannot stress this enough, the best materials to make a roof earthquake friendly are the materials being light-weight. Lightweight roof covering also includes Concrete Roof tiles.
Lightweight roofs advantages:
- Cost savings in budget and materials,
- Savings on foundation design,
- The ability to adapt roofing without having to vacate the property,
- Reduced installation times, with less potential disruption to property owners and neighbours,
- Increased durability and extreme weather performance, compared to many of the heavy duty alternatives,
- Allows better use of variable lightweight materials,
- And there are also environmental benefits too; which includes the reduction in carbon emissions through massively more efficient transportation costs.
The forbidden city in China has been standing for over 600 years and has survived more than 200 earthquakes! This building has special brackets called dougong, which supports the beams and holds the columns in place! These brackets are the key to holding this structure together for so many years!
Make sure your roof lasts with Kelbrick’s Roof Trusses.